The Rosicrucian Code of Life
Sid
2008-04-02 20:28:13 UTC
THE ROSICRUCIAN CODE OF LIFE

[Rosicrucian Manual, AMORC,
Third Edition, 1929, pages 150-5]
_______

The following rules are taken from old and modern manuscripts wherein
certain regulations are set forth for the guidance of Rosicrucians,
who are devoting their entire lives to an idealization of the Order's
principles.

Perhaps only in the Rosicrucian monasteries of India, or those in
Tibet, could one live strictly in accordance with all the ancient
regulations; but those selected for publication here can be adopted
by a great many of our members in the Occident. We know from
practical experience that most of these can be adhered to by any man
or woman without interference with the necessary duties and
obligations of present-day living; and we know, also, that most of
our Officers and advanced members are living the Rosicrucian life in
accordance with the rules suggested here, much to their own great
advancement, the joy of their associates in family and business, and
the betterment of mankind generally.

It will profit you greatly to try to adopt as many of these rules as
possible.

1. Upon arising in the morning start the day with a prayer of
thankfulness to God for the return of consciousness, because of the
opportunities it affords to continue the Great Work and Mission of
your life. Face the geographical East, inhale fresh air with seven
deep breaths, exhale them slowly with mind concentrated upon the
vitality going to each part of the body to awaken the psychic
centres. Then bathe, and drink a glass of cold water before eating.

2. Upon retiring, and after conducting all psychic experiments
scheduled for the night, or attending to any special psychic or
Rosicrucian work contained in your weekly lesson or program, give
thanks to God for the day and its fruits, ask the Cosmic Hosts to
accept your psychic services while you sleep, to use your
consciousness as they desire, and, if it please God and the Masters
to have you live another day on earth, So Mote It Be! Then, with
thoughts of love for all living beings, and a sense of Peace and
Harmony with all the universe, close your eyes and fall asleep,
visualizing your inner-self resting in the consciousness of God.

3. Before each meal wash the hands clean and hold them, palms
downward, over the plate of food for a fraction of a minute, then
mentally pray that the benediction of God be granted to the food you
eat that it may be magnetized with the spiritual radiations from your
hands and thus greatly supply the needs of the body. Then, before
eating the first morsel, say, mentally: "May all who need food share
with me what I enjoy, and may God show me how I may share with others
what they have not."

4. Before accepting any blessing from the material world (whether
purchased by money, labor, or exchange, or whether received as a
gift) say, mentally: "By the privilege of God I receive this and pray
that it may help me to better fulfill my mission in life." This
applies to even such things as clothing, personal requisites, periods
of pleasure at the theatre, church, musicals, etc., or even to such
small things as books, helpful reading matter, etc., and of course
includes the receipt of money as salary, commissions, gifts, or
otherwise.

5. Whenever any special blessing is received, such as long desired
things from the material world of any nature, or a small or large
luxury, or unexpected piece of goodness, do not use or apply it to
your own personal use in any way until you have retired to the
silence somewhere for a few minutes to meditate and ask this
question: "Have I truly deserved this blessing and is there any way
in which I can share the benefit of it--directly or indirectly--with
others or for the benefit of man?" Then wait for an answer from the
Cosmic. If you receive no word that it is undeserved or should be
shared, or passed on to another, then say: "I thank God, the Cosmic,
and the Masters, for this blessing; may I use it to the Glory of my
Soul."

6. If any special honor, military, governmental, political, social or
otherwise is being conferred upon you, always act with the utmost
humility, proclaim your unworthiness (for who is truly worthy of all
things?) and with a mental resolution that it must not make you proud
or selfish, accept the blessing with a prayer of thankfulness and
assert that, in the name of those whom you can serve better with such
blessing, you receive it.

7. If, in giving testimony, in court or elsewhere, you are asked to
take an oath, or to swear or promise upon some sacred book or emblem,
bear in mind that to you there is no symbol or emblem more holy or
sacred than the Rosy Cross. (In most courts of the world individual
selection of such sacred symbol for such purpose is permissible.)
Then say that as a Rosicrucian you prefer to make your statement
"before the Sign of the Cross," and make the Sign (as directed
elsewhere in this Manual.) After making the sign, make your
statement, and remember that if an untruth is knowingly stated at
such a time it will create a Karmic condition that can never be set
aside except by the fullest compensation, according to the Law of
Compensation.

8. Never permit yourself to enter discussions of other persons'
religious beliefs, except to point out the soundness, goodness, or
possible benefits of certain doctrines and thereby show them the good
that exists in all religions. Hold not your religious thoughts as
superior. Speak well of them if need be, point out how they serve
you, but do not create in the mind of others the thought that they
are in sin or error because of their beliefs. That religion is best
for each which enables us to understand God and God's mysterious
ways.

9. Be tolerant on all subjects and bear in mind that destructive
criticism creates naught but sorrow. Unless you can constructively
comment on matters, refrain from speaking.

10. Attempt no direct reforms in the lives of others. Discover in
yourself what needs correction and improve yourself, that by the
Light of your Life you may point the way to others.

11. Flaunt not your attainments, nor boast of your Rosicrucian
knowledge. You may be a Rosicrucian as a member of the Brotherhood,
but as a Rosicrucian in knowledge and power, the greatest and highest
among us is but a child of the studies and unworthy of Rosicrucian
recognition. Proclaim yourself, not as a Master, but as a Rosicrucian
student--ever a student--eternally.

12. Seek to share what you can spare, daily, even if in small ways
and meager amounts. Go out of your way to find where that which you
can give or do will be a blessing to someone or many, and while
performing this duty shun all personal glory and let it be known that
you are simply "about the Masters' work."

13. Accept no personal thanks for any blessing you bestow, any gift
you give, or any help you render. When "thanks" are expressed it is
customary to say: "Please thank me not, for it is I who am grateful.
I seek, and must seek, to serve and labor for the Masters; you have
afforded me an opportunity. But, now the obligation to pass it on
rests with you; may you, too, find an opportunity to serve someone
else."

14. Accept no gifts of a material nature for any good you do unless
you agree with yourself in the moment of accepting, and so state to
the giver, that you will divide the blessing with someone where it
will continue to carry on its mission of relief and help. This is
especially necessary when the material gift is of a nature--like
money, food, clothing, etc.--that can be divided and is a common
necessity on the part of many.

15. Bear in mind that through your Rosicrucian Order you always have
an open portal to help many, and that by sharing with them any
blessings you pass on to others, who are Brothers and Sisters of the
Order in need, the blessings which come to you, perhaps as a trustee
of the Cosmic.

16. As you give so shall you receive! As each opportunity to give is
seized upon with utmost impulsiveness, so will future blessings,
sought or required, be granted to you by the Cosmic. The greater the
impulsiveness--with little thought as to personal sacrifice--the
greater will be the compensation credited in the Cosmic.

17. Let not a day pass by without speaking to someone of the work of
the Masters through the portal of the Rosy Cross Order. Each day
makes someone more familiar with its Great Work, not always by
soliciting, not always by preachments, but by simple statements of
fact, simple demonstrations, and the kind words of recommendation.

18. Respect all women, honor thy father and mother, be sympathetic to
the sinful, helpful to the afflicted, and serving to the Masters. He
is greatest among you who is the greatest servant unto all. Hence the
Master of a Lodge, the Supreme Master, and the Imperator, are
greatest, because they may be the greatest servants.

19. Provide now, while consciousness can assist you, to take care of
those who may be dependent after your transition; and if you have no
one who will require a share of your earthly possession after your
transition--or you have sufficient to more than do for them--be
certain that you grant, in proper and legal manner, a disposition of
some of your worldly blessing to the superior body of your
Rosicrucian Order--the Supreme Grand Lodge--that it may be helped in
the work it is doing for others.

20. Go to the assistance of any living being, regardless of race,
creed, or color, when you can render direct or indirect aid in any
emergency; if you cannot give aid in person, but can call or solicit
aid, this, too, is imperative; in quiet and peace perform your work,
render your service, and retire with as little recognition as
possible.

21. Maintain one place in your home that is sacred to you and your
Order. In it find Peace and time for meditation daily. Profane it not
with pleasures of the flesh, but sanctify it with your higher
thoughts.

22. Give your support, moral or physical, to some church in your
community, that it may have your help in carrying on the great work
in its Light.

23. Assume no political office without properly and duly notifying
all who may sponsor or support your attainment of your definite views
and principles toward humanity at large, that they may not expect or
depend upon your submission to principles of a lesser degree.

24. Judge not, unless you are so placed that those to be judged come
legally and formally before you as an accredited servant of the
multitude; then in sympathy understand, in mercy comprehend, in
leniency estimate, and with love be fair. For the Law of Compensation
will make adequate demands, and the God of all is alone a truly
competent Judge of all facts.

25. Repeat no slander, tell no tales, and support no reports that
injure or condemn unless accompanied by more than the same degree of
constructive criticism and comment, and only after you have
completely investigated and learned all the facts.

26. Seek the good in all beings and give public praise to what you
find. Look not upon the changing character of the outer-self, but
discover the real self within. Learn to know all beings and love
them.

27. Gamble not with the lot of another who in ignorance may lose and
suffer what you gain.

28. Avoid all extremes in thought and act; be moderate in all
desires, and subdue your passions in all directions.

29. Attempt no radical or sudden changes in the natural scheme of
things; remember the Rosicrucian injunction: Not by revolution, but
through evolution, are all things accomplished in permanency.

30. Hold sacred and above all criticism, the ideals of the
Rosicrucians; permit no slander to affect the good name of your
Order; live that life which will prove the goodness of your
principles; and be ready to defend the emblem of the Rosy Cross with
the might of your life and the light of your being.
Richard D. Tonda
2008-04-03 01:35:53 UTC
Post by Sid
11. Flaunt not your attainments, nor boast of your Rosicrucian
Sid,

Thanks for posting this...it was a nice reminder I joined AMORC many years
ago, when I first turned 18. I was an active, involved member for many
years, but the events in the later part of the last century blanched my
enthusiam. Your post made me sad, but nostalgicly (is there such a
word)happy, as well. I learned much at that fount, and still yearn for
more of what was given.

Thanks again...
Rick
f***@yahoo.co.uk
2008-04-03 02:35:09 UTC
Rick,

I venture: "melancholic" ...?
but nostalgicly (is there such a word)happy,
Sid
2008-04-03 10:16:04 UTC
Post by Sid
11. Flaunt not your attainments, nor boast of your Rosicrucian
Sid,
Thanks for posting this...it was a nice reminder  I joined AMORC many years
ago, when I first turned 18.  I was an active, involved member for many
years, but the events in the later part of the last century blanched my
enthusiam.  Your post made me sad, but nostalgicly (is there such a
word)happy, as well.  I learned much at that fount, and still yearn for
more of what was given.
Thanks again...
--
Rick
Pleasure, Rick.

I have set up another Rosicrucian group here at Google Groups = No
Spam

http://groups.google.de/group/rose-cross-international

Best Regards,
Sid